The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)
I felt spineless. I thought, "What’s wrong with me? I don’t have a center of my own. Where’s my singular self? — Other people seem to percolate through me. —Where’s my own person?” — I didn’t know what to do with this kind of sensitivity. I didn’t even know that sensitivity was at the root of these experiences. All I knew is that I felt awful a lot of the time.
— David Abram
- Are you easily overwhelmed?
- Do you lack energy or a sense of belonging?
- Do you feel others engage with the world with an ease you lack?
- Does life feel unusually effortful at times?
- Does it feel especially difficult to try new things or go new places?
- Are you more aware of subtleties in other’s moods?
If so, you might be a "Highly Sensitive Person.” About 20% of the population is. Take the HSP self test.
Traits of the Highly Sensitive Person
Researchers have identified the Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) as a type of person who is emotionally and biologically more sensitive to all kinds of stimuli.
Highly Sensitive People have a style of awareness that is more expanded than most. They are more dramatically impacted by “subtle” environmental influences.
This heightened sensitivity can manifest as feeling overly stimulated by:
- Someone’s mood
- Chemical sensitivity and allergies
This increased awareness to environmental stimulus can create feelings of depression, confusion, anxiety, and low self-esteem.
If you do have High Sensitivity as a trait it’s important that this be identified for you. Once you recognize that you have this trait you become a better advocate for your self and can better understand:
- Why certain career paths are preferable and others untenable
- What the qualities are in experiences that bring you pleasure
- What is challenging to you in intimate relationships (and why)
- Why you prefer certain climates, communities and environments
- Your preference for socializing
- Your limitations for absorbing specific types of information or for enjoying certain types of events.
If you are an HSP with education and support you can begin to put together a picture of the unique way that your mind and body senses experience, absorb and processes information. In groups and private session I offer specific support and counseling for the Highly Sensitive Person.
Call or text 410-757-4720, or send an email to schedule a free 10 minute phone consultation today.